Monday, March 20, 2017

Jimmy Breslin R.I.P

In this time when we are appreciating great journalism one again, we should celebrate one of our greatest and most original journalists Jimmy Breslin, who passed away this weekend.

Twenty year ago, I spoke to Breslin for the first time. He had recently had brain surgery for an aneurysm and he turned that surgery into his book I Want to Thank My Brain for Remembering Me: A Memoir.

We talked about this surgery, but we also talked about the modern journalist. He admonished today's journalists not smoking, for not engaging in bad behavior, for going to health clubs and drinking wine instead of booze and how dare they, for going home at nigh to their families instead of the local saloon.

Breslin was one of kind. I feel privileged to have known him over the years and privileged to share this 1996 conversation with all of you.